Our Acting Principal, Trevor Strolla, and our staff are responsible for the programs and day to day operation of Brunswick South Primary School.
School Council is a decision making body that assists in governing the school. The council develops policies, maintains the facilities and grounds, oversees aspects of financial operations, encourages community participation and fundraising, and oversees the Out of School Hours Care service. The council’s activities are guided by Department of Education (DET) Governance Guidelines and the BSPS School Council Standing Orders.
The school council is made up of elected parents and teachers, the school Principal (who holds the position on council of executive officer) and 2 community members appointed by the school. School council members volunteer their time to make a considerable contribution to the effective governance of the school.
Involvement in the School Council or in its committees and sub-committees gives members of the school community an accountable and transparent mechanism to shape the direction and management of the school.
School Council Reports
2019 School Council Meeting Dates
The School council consists of 10 members. Parent and teacher representatives are elected positions on a 2 year term. Each year, 3 parent positions are available for nomination. Nominations occur in the first half of term 1 each year and are notified through the school newsletter.
2019 SCHOOL COUNCIL MEMBERS
Executive Officer – Trevor Strolla
President – James Henry
Vice President – Madeleine Aikenhead
Treasurer – Dan Ziffer
Parent members – Jane Scammell, Petra Stock, Jean-Pierre Masclef, Madeleine Aikenhead, Dan Ziffer
Community members – John Hajek, James Henry
DET representatives – Trevor Strolla (Acting Principal), Marg Weymouth (Assistant Principal), Ivana D’Aprano (Teacher representative)
The BSPS school council meets twice a term on a Tuesday at 7pm at the school. BSPS Council meetings are open to members of the school community with prior approval from the President and Principal. Please contact the school if you would like to request approval to attend a meeting.
Interested parents are encouraged to nominate for school council when a vacancy arises. Parents are always welcome to join a Council committee or join the many volunteers who support the range of BSPS extra-curricular and community activities.
Following each meeting an update from the school council will be provided via the school newsletter and a report of meetings will be added to this website.
CURRENT COUNCIL COMMITTEES
Policies Committee – Marg Weymouth
OSHC Committee – Petra Stock
Building and Grounds Committee – James Henry
Community and Fundraising Committee – Jane Scammell
Bilingual Committee – John Hajek
Contacting school council or committees email us here
Please provide the following information;
Your relationship to BSPS [parent/carer of current BSPS student; parent/carer of potential prospective BSPS student; other]
Subject of Enquiry: [school council; policy committee; OSHC committee; community committee; building and grounds committee; community partnerships committee]
Your contact details:
The Policy Committee’s main purpose is to develop comprehensive policies on a wide range of school issues that are consistent with DEECD requirements and the school philosophy. Feedback from the school community is sought on draft policies before endorsement is sought from school council. Policies are usually reviewed every 3 years.
A list of current, draft and proposed school policies can be found here.
Building and Grounds Committee
The Building and Grounds Committee is responsible for the maintenance and development of the school buildings, grounds and facilities. This includes maintaining a list of works identified to be undertaken, preparing the business case and estimated cost for council consideration and prioritisation, and preparing communications on proposed works for consideration by the school community.
Community and Fundraising Committee
The Community and Fundraising Committee’s main purpose is to develop and maintain the sense of identity and belonging in the BSPS community and provide opportunities for positive interactions between members of the school community as well as involvement in school community activities
The Committee has appointed co-ordinators to focussing on the following areas:
- Grants, Sponsorships and Donations – identifying and maintaining a calendar of eligible grants and preparing the grants submission in due time; identifying possible donations and engaging in activity to explore suitable donations consistent with school values and sponsorship policies;
- Fundraising – identifying opportunities for fundraising, developing plans and maintaining a schedule of school fundraising activities
- Communications – foster good communication through effective and up-to-date use of the BSPS website and other methods including twitter and Facebook; develop opportunities for carers and parents to have their communication needs with the school met and to increase opportunities for two way feedback on important school issues such as an annual carer/parent survey and school welcome pack.
- Volunteers – maintains a list of all BSPS parents/carers who are interested in volunteering, noting their skill set and interests, contact details and availability and advising of any specific requirements (such as Working With Children Check); matches potential volunteers with committee and sub-committee activities
- Processes – maintaining all relevant information and supporting the efficient and effective operations of the committee.