What guides us
• It is a privilege to be a member of our school community
• Everyone can succeed
• It is our responsibility to act in ways that make individual success a reality
• Learning and working together, we have greater impact on learning
• Teaching is a profession not an industry
• Student achievement and wellbeing are the fundamental pursuits of our school
• Strong parent, student, teacher partnerships in student learning are vital
• Our school is on a continuous journey of greatness
We plan and teach in teams and intentionally use research based instructional strategies in concert to provide every opportunity for every student to be successful. We are highly effective and there is low variability across the school in terms of our instructional practice.
We continually access a range of protocols and tools to measure teacher effectiveness to ensure maximum impact on our students.
As a result we are all skilled in the craft of good teaching and can make calculated decisions about the best practice for our students at all times.
• Build essential capabilities in every student that include:
– Strong literacy, numeracy and science skills
– A discriminating and inquiring frame of mind
– A love of learning and a desire for knowledge
– Creativity, courage and critical thinking
– A sense of social justice and an environmental conscience– Emotional and social intelligence
– A strong sense of identity and personal agency
– Independence and interdependence
– Perspective, grit, open-mindedness, prudence and self-control
– Optimism and confidence – in themselves and their futures
• Use a strengths-based approach to provide a safe and stimulating learning environment that fosters mutual cooperation, emotional support, personal growth and a synergy of effort
• Deliver a vibrant, relevant and wholistic, guaranteed and viable curriculum
• Provide a bilingual Italian language program to stimulate brain development and improve overall performance at school
• Provide researched based, quality differentiated instruction in every classroom
• Ensure that every child is fully engaged with their learning and exceeding expectations
• Foster close links with parents and the broader school community
• Provide robust feedback and set challenging individual, team and school goals
• Challenge and support students to develop deeper levels of understanding, thinking and application
• Ensure that academic rigor is embedded in teaching and learning, through a continuous cycle of reflection, observation, action and evaluation
• Create relationships that are professional in nature while also being cordial and friendly
• Ensure that we have agreed upon processes, standards and expectations; framing all activities and collaboratively make decisions
We use the Victorian Curriculum to provide a set of prescribed content and common achievement standards, which we use to plan student learning programs, assess student progress and report to parents.
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 sets out a single, coherent and comprehensive set of content descriptions and associated achievement standards to enable teachers to plan, monitor, assess and report on the learning achievement of every student.
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 incorporates and reflects much of the Australian Curriculum F–10, but differs in some important respects, most notably the representation of the curriculum as a continuum of learning and the structural design.
Victorian government and Catholic schools are required to use the Victorian Curriculum F–10. Independent schools may use the Victorian Curriculum F–10 as a model and resource for the effective implementation of the Australian Curriculum.
For more information on the Victorian Curriculum, click HERE
• Visual Art
• Performing Arts
• STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics)
• Physical Education
*Visual Arts and Performing Arts classes are delivered in Italian. Click for more information on our Bilingual Program.
Brunswick South Primary School is accredited under the Department of Education and Training’s CRICOS registration (CRICOS provider name and code: Department of Education and Training, 00861K). For further information refer to www.study.vic.gov.au
Extra Curricular Opportunities
• Whole School Performance
• Camping Program in years 3- 6
• Private Instrumental Music available during the school day. Click here for more information.• Private Art classes after school available on the school premises.
• Lunch time clubs which include; junior and senior sport, violin club, dance, Italian choir, Flash Mob Dance, iPod Game Making, Band, Garage Band, short film making, library and art (Please note that lunch time clubs change throughout the year)
• Community event performances and demonstrations